The Ventura County Sheriff's Office has an opening for a Chief Helicopter Maintenance Technician. This position is responsible for the supervision of the helicopter maintenance program; and the overall record keeping systems maintained according to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) guidelines.
The ideal candidate will have considerable experience in helicopter maintenance and experience directing and supervising an FAA-approved helicopter maintenance services program. Incumbent will receive 5% certification pay for maintaining a FAA Inspection Authorization Certificate.
Considerable experience in helicopter maintenance which has led to the acquisition of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. The required knowledge, skills, and abilities can also be obtained by five (5) or more years of progressively responsible experience in the maintenance of turbine-powered helicopters which has included two (2) years directing and supervising an FAA-approved helicopter maintenance services program.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess and maintain a FAA Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic's License issued two years prior to employment date.
- Must be able to obtain an Inspection Authorization Certificate within one year of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California driver license.
- Must be able to obtain a Department of the Interior Mechanic qualification and Department of Agriculture and Forest Service licenses/certificates for specific helicopters.
- Through knowledge of: the maintenance and repair of the Bell 204, 205, 206, 212, UH1, UH-60 and any other helicopters the County purchases; gas turbine engines; accessories, and fuel control' helicopter electrical systems.
- Working knowledge of: helicopter aerodynamics, vibrations, and flight characteristics.
- Considerable ability to: diagnose mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and structural malfunctions; inspect design, fabrication, and maintenance work performed by technicians.
- Working ability to: supervise, evaluate, and train staff; identify maintenance and repair needs; read, understand, interpret, and cross-reference helicopter maintenance manuals, charts, graphs, and blueprints; engineer, fabricate, and install systems; maintain repair records according to FAA guidelines; identify and solve problems; completely strip and rebuild helicopters; maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors and county staff.
- Thoroughly skilled: the operation of specialized shop equipment and tools.
Work is primarily performed in a hanger or inside helicopters. Employees are exposed to mechanical and chemical hazards and must be able to perform in-flight testing of repairs on helicopters. Work requires a wide-range of motion, working in confined spaces, and lifting more than 50 pounds. Incumbents may work under adverse conditions. On a rotating basis, must be available to work standby/on-call and willing/able to respond to emergencies after normal working hours within twenty (20) minutes of initial notification.
How to apply:
To apply on-line, please refer to our web site at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ventura/jobs/2875227/sheriffs-chief-helicopter-maintenance-technician?keywords=chief pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs.
If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials and submit them to
County of Ventura Human Resources,
800 South Victoria Avenue, L-1970, Ventura, CA 93009.