More Aviation Jobs!
Job Type: Permanent
Posted: 6/17/2020 5:54:55 PM
Description: Vehicle Engineering - Mechanical Design and Development
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.AERONAUTICAL TERMINAL CERTIFICATION MANAGER
SpaceX is developing enterprise solutions for its Starlink satellite constellation including service to aircraft terminals. The aeronautical terminal Certification manager will be responsible for obtaining Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Supplemental Type Certifications (STCs) to install Starlink aeronautical terminals on commercial and business jet aircraft. He or She will play a critical role in deploying an industry changing In-Flight Communications (IFC) service.
In this position, you will be responsible for building the certification team, obtaining FAA STCs, work with FAA Aircraft Certification Offices (ACOs) and FAA Designated Engineering Representatives (DERs), help SpaceX achieve FAA Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA) and help obtain Part 145 Repair Station authorization. The STC work will focus on external radome / antenna installations, aircraft cabin networks and avionics installations. You will serve as the main interface with the FAA and EASA, work closely with our customer airlines and aircraft owners, and our internal Product Engineering, Manufacturing and Repair, and Field Service and Support and Sales organizations.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build and execute on a Certification and Installation Design Plan
- Obtain and maintain FAA and EASA STCs on commercial and business jets
- Plan and execute STC projects
- Develop Project Specific Certification Plans (PSCPs)
- Work with FAA ACOs and DERs to approve and execute on the PSCP
- Collaborate with SpaceX technical departments to prepare design, analysis, and test data packages and briefings for government agencies
- Organize and lead program milestone reviews, technical interchange meetings, and regular working group meetings
- Work closely with SpaceX technical departments to develop technical rationales, mitigate technical risks, and ensure product deliveries are on schedule
- Develop and execute DO-160G qualification programs
- Maintain STCs after they have been obtained
- Obtain and maintain FAA PMA and Part 145 Repair Station authorization
- Develop certification requirements for the Product Engineering team
- Support airline and business jet sales efforts and installation programs
- Coordinate across technical disciplines to solve certification challenges with limited resources
ree in mechanical or aerospace engineering10+ years of professional industry experienceExperience obtaining FAA STCsPREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Preferred technical background and/or experience in at least one of the following areas: aircraft structures, damage tolerance and fatigue, aerodynamics, aircraft electrical systems
- Knowledge of the FAA Part 23 and Part 25 and EASA certification and qualification requirements
- Experience designing installations and obtaining STCs for satellite radomes / antennas, cabin networks and avionics installations on commercial aircraft
- Experience working with FAA Aircraft Certification Offices (ACOs)
- Experience developing Project Specific Certification Plans (PSCPs)
- Experience working with or as an FAA DERs or as an Organization Designation Authorization (ODA) administrator
- FAA designation as a Structural DER and/or Management DER
- Experience developing and executing RTCA DO-160 qualification programs
- Experience working with major aircraft Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs)
- Experience working with airlines and aircraft owners
- Experience obtaining and maintaining FAA PMA and Part 145 Repair station authorization
- The ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Highly detail oriented, diligent, and hard working with excellent customer interface skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be willing to travel to customer locations as necessary - up to 20% travel
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed to support critical customer deliverables
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.